Monday, April 18, 2011

Classic White Birthday Cake with Vanilla Frosting

I swear I'll have a non-birthday related post next week, but I've been so busy with my folks in town and my husband's and kids' birthdays that I haven't had much time for blogging.

For my little girl's cake smash I tried out Nick Malgieri's classic white butter cake recipe.  I have made his yellow cake many times and it is so moist and delicious I figured why try another recipe?  But I made yellow cupcakes for the guests and wanted something different for her cake, so I made the classic white.

She only smashed one side of the cake so my husband and I dug into the other side with forks.  Yup, we're a classy bunch over here.  This is a great cake recipe if you're just going for something sweet and simple.  Also very moist, this cake had great vanilla flavor and was perfect for decorating.  I made the layers the night before, wrapped them in plastic, and stuck them in the fridge.  They were perfectly flat the next day so no need for cutting the tops off.

As you can see my cake decorating skills need some work, but I thought the polka dots were super cute, perfect for a sweet little girl!





Classic White Cake
from Nick Malgieri

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large egg whites (3/4 cup)
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 (9-inch) diameter by 1 1/2-inch deep layer pans, buttered and bottoms lined with parchment or waxed paper
Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. 

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.  Whisk eggs and milk together, set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla extract.  Scrape down sides with rubber spatula.
On low speed add 1/4 of the flour mixture until it is absorbed.  Increase speed to medium low and beat in 1/3 of milk mixture.  Repeat this, including change of speed 2 more times. Scrape bowl and beat in remaining 1/4 of flour mixture.  Scrape again, increase speed to medium and continuously beat the batter for 3 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and smooth top. Bake cake(s) about 20 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let cool completely.

Sugary Birthday Buttercream Frosting
from Sweetapolita

1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter, softened

6 cups icing sugar (confectioners’)
120 ml whipping cream
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
pinch of salt
Beat the butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer on low with the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla, water, whipping cream, and salt, and whip on high speed until fluffy and smooth–about 4 minutes. If consistency is too thick, add more water 1 teaspoon at a time, then whip again for 30 seconds or so.
Makes enough to fill & frost a 3-layer, 8″ cake.

Linked to:
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Linked to:
Sweet Tooth Friday
Sweets for a Saturday 

11 comments:

  1. what a beautiful cake. it's the perfect shade of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corrine,
    This is a pretty cake and looks delicious. Thank you for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute cake, I'd have munched even the smashed bit! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cake (my favorite color) and would be great for Spring Time/Easter time too!

    Myself and 2 other great bloggers are hosting THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS and the theme this week is "EASTER COOKIES & TREATS" and I think this is a great recipe for that! We would love for you to stop on by and link up your recipe if you wish! Hope to see you there!!! :-)

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/04/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by from Melt in you Mouth Monday and I noticed your recipe calls for baking powder and I wanted to invite you to my Iron Chef Challenge as the themed ingredient this month is baking powder. Link up a recipe and you'll have a chance to win a prize. Hope you can join in the fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion, you just can't beat the classic recipes. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you can't beat a classic because your cake made the hit list for last week's Sweets for a Saturday. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...