Monday, September 27, 2010

Indulge Yourself

I love to bake.  It has become my favourite hobby, and while life with two small kids doesn't allow for a lot of time baking, I do it whenever I can.  I think my favourite thing about baking is that I constantly amaze myself that I can make something so beautiful and tasty.  I used to be absolutely terrible in the kitchen.  I remember making my first batch of banana bread from my mom's recipe which I had erroneously written down, and it not occurring to me that something must be wrong with adding only 3/4 cup flour.  My banana bread was a soupy mess. 

Since that ill-fated banana bread I have improved considerably, making gorgeous cupcakes, tantalizing cookies, and scrumptious scones.  Things don't always work out (I like to play fast and loose with measurements) but most of the time the recipes are a success, much to the delight of my husband and child who can eat solids. 

And of course much to the delight of my own sweet tooth, which is a formidable force.  For years I agonized over every tasty treat I allowed myself, feeling guilty for hours after.  But in the past few years, I am slowly learning to say "F#@! it".  Indulge yourself, life is short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...