Friday, November 5, 2010

White Chocolate Pecan Drop Cookies

What do you do on a rainy weekend when one of your wee ones isn't feeling well and you can't leave the house?  You bake.  Well, at least that's what I do.  This recipe is the first of several that I tried a few weekends ago.  It's from my Magnolia cookbook and is super easy and positively scrumptious. 

The only thing I did differently with this recipe was I used white chocolate chips instead of a bar.  A bar probably would have been better, and the chips I used weren't very high quality but the cookies were still tasty so I can only imagine with proper white chocolate they would be divine.  Mike said he would prefer them with milk chocolate chips, but he doesn't care for white chocolate in the first place.   I am admittedly a bit of a chocolate snob, and I really feel that using cheap chocolate for baking is a bit of a sin.  Good chocolate is so much more rich and flavorful, it really makes all the difference.

The pecans were the perfect addition to this cookie.  I didn't follow the recipe's instructions for toasting since Trader Joe's sells toasted pecan pieces.  The final cookie is chewy with a nice subtle crunch thanks to the pecans.  I'll definitely make this one again.



White Chocolate Pecan Drop Cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup (1 1/3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
2/3 cup coarsely chopped white chocolate (I used white chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
In a large bowl (I used my mixer), cream butter with sugars until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Add the egg and vanilla, beat well.  Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Stir in pecans and chocolate.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
Cool cookies on sheets for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...