Friday, January 28, 2011

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I have made many an oatmeal raisin cookie in search of the perfect recipe.  My search is over.  These are from Martha, and they are indeed perfect.  Seriously.  Super chewy with a lovely cinnamon maple flavour and the slightly crunchy texture from the shredded coconut.  Love love love these.  Martha has done it again.

I made a couple of changes to Martha's recipe, I used whole wheat white flour instead of all-purpose and I reduced the brown sugar to 3/4 cup.  Enjoy!




Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies
Adapted from  Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
 

Yields about 2 dozen large cookies

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar,
1/3 cup pure maple syrup, preferably Grade B (it has a stronger flavour)
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F with racks in the upper and lower thirds.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (not necessary if you have non-stick pans).  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the coconut. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment,  beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mix to combine. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined, about 1 minute, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed.


With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in two batches; mix until just combined. Add oats and raisins and mix until combined.

Using a 2-inch ice cream scoop (= 3 tablespoons), drop dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheet. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet until firm enough to remove to wire racks, about 2 minutes.

Cookies can be kept in an airtight container for up to four days.



Linked to: Sweets for a Saturday

4 comments:

  1. I just love oatmeal cookies!! Yours are calling to me, how I wish I had a plateful right now!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so chunky and chewy! I love my cookies like that=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chewy oatmeal cookies are the best. Yours look like they have goodness in every bite. Thanks for linking this up at Sweets for a Saturday. I hope you'll be able to join in again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I would find a recipe for these on your blog. Off to make them now. They look delish!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...