Monday, April 11, 2011

Pink Vanilla Cupcakes

I made these for my little girl's recent 1st birthday party.  The cupcake is a yellow cake recipe from Nick Malgieri that I always use when making cupcakes for kids.  It's light and moist, super flavorful, and really easy to make.

The frosting is from Sweetapolita.  I love her blog, it's beautiful.  Her pictures are gorgeous and recipes are to die for.  This frosting for American style buttercream rules.  It is seriously the best frosting recipe I've tried.  It's light, fluffy, and perfect for piping.  I topped the cupcakes with some pearly pink nonpareils. 

These cupcakes turned out exactly how I had been picturing in my mind for the last few months since I decided to do a pink party for my sweet girly.  




Basic Yellow Cake
from Nick Malgieri

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, at room temp
3/4 cup milk
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.  Butter and line the bottom of two 9x2-inch round cake pans.

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.  Whisk eggs and milk together, set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla extract.  Scrape down sides with rubber spatula.
On low speed add 1/4 of the flour mixture until it is absorbed.  Increase speed to medium low and beat in 1/3 of milk mixture.  Repeat this, including change of speed 2 more times. Scrape bowl and beat in remaining 1/4 of flour mixture.  Scrape again, increase speed to medium and continuously beat the batter for 3 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and smooth top. Bake cake(s) about 20 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let cool completely.

Sugary Birthday Buttercream Frosting
from Sweetapolita

1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter, softened
6 cups icing sugar (confectioners’)
120 ml whipping cream
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
pinch of salt
Beat the butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer on low with the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla, water, whipping cream, and salt, and whip on high speed until fluffy and smooth–about 4 minutes. If consistency is too thick, add more water 1 teaspoon at a time, then whip again for 30 seconds or so.
Makes enough to fill & frost a 3-layer, 8″ cake.

Linked to:
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Muffin Monday 
Sweet Tooth Friday
Sweets for a Saturday 

14 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job. These would have been perfect for my friend's baby shower, who is expecting a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super cute!! Pink is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes are just perfect for a little girls birthday, love them! The pink is just so perfect, bright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cupcakes! I'm sure your daughter loved them :) I'm going to have to give this yellow cake a go.. I'm in need of a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Southern California

    I added myself to follow your blog.
    I invite you to follow my blog.

    God Bless You :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for the perfect yellow cake recipe. I will have to try this recipe. What a great Mom you are to make these cute cupcakes for your little girl! The cake in the background looks cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What sweet little cupcakes! I just found Nick Malgieri's Bake! and have been having fun reading and planning my attack ... ;-). Looks like your little one's birthday was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable pink cupcakes! I'm sure they added some glow to your daughter's birthday party!
    Following you now from Melt in Your Mouth Monday. Would truly appreciate a follow back on Pinay In Texas Cooking Corner! :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute and look delicious! Please share your recipe with our readers by linking up at Muffin Monday. Thanks!
    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-applesauce-muffins

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great! thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Im following you from "Melt in your Mouth" Monday!
    Melissa
    http://readingnks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I'm sure they were enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found you on Sweets for a Saturday. Adorable and tasty looking cupcakes! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm making these cupcakes for Sophie's party on Friday... with purple icing :) any great chocolate cupcake recipes you love?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...