Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dutch Baby Pancake

Pancakes are a weekend staple in our house, but once in a while I like to make something a little different.  I remember my Mom making Dutch babies once on occasion when I was growing up and I remember them being quite tasty.  They're basically an oven skillet pancake, heavy on the eggs, light on the flour.  Perfect with some butter melted on top and warm maple syrup.

If you're feeding a crowd, you'll probably want to make two batches, one Dutch baby barely feeds my husband, toddler, baby, and me.  I think these would be a perfect addition to a nice weekend brunch with some fresh fruit and whipped cream.  I just whizzed up the ingredients in my Magic Bullet, poured in the buttered skillet, and baked for 20 minutes.  When it comes out it's all golden and puffy (it does fall quickly), very impressive for something that is so easy to make!




Dutch Baby Pancake
from Martha Stewart 

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium cast-iron or ovenproof nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; set aside.
In a blender, combine eggs, milk, flour, salt, vanilla, an  sugar. Blend until foamy, about 1 minute. Pour batter into skillet; bake until pancake is puffed and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.  Serve immediately.

Linked to:
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Sweet Tooth Friday 
Sweets for a Saturday

2 comments:

  1. I should make this for lunch, today. It is my kind of meal. I am going to have fun here. I see many recipes, I want to make.

    Would you link this to Bake with Bizzy. Many would love to share in this.

    http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/06/bake-with-bizzy-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very similar recipe, only I've never used a cast iron skillet to make it. Great idea.

    Thank you so much for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday! I hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...