Thursday, August 11, 2011

Blueberry Crisp

Pin It

Even though it's only August, I'm already thinking about all the lovely fall and winter recipes I want to make.  Gingerbread cakes, pumpkin bars, caramel apple pies.  But this week I decided to try and focus on summer fruit desserts, so I started with this recipe for blueberry crisp my niece gave to me. 

It's different from any other crisp recipes that I've tried since it uses cornmeal and almonds in the topping.  Heaven!  The almonds add a nice crunchy texture and the cornmeal gives it a heartier flavor.  I served it warm with some vanilla bean ice cream.  It was a really easy dessert to put together and I thought it looked cute in the ramekins.  :)


Blueberry Crisp
from the Food Network

For the Topping:

7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the baking dish
1/2 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup chopped almonds (I used toasted slivered almonds)

For the Filling:

4 cups blueberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish or eight 6-ounce ramekins (if you are using ramekins, double the filling).

Make the topping: Whisk the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Stir in the almonds. Work in the butter with your fingers until evenly moistened.

Make the filling: Toss the blueberries, granulated sugar, flour and lemon juice in a bowl.

Transfer the filling to the prepared dish or ramekins and dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Squeeze handfuls of the crumble mixture and scatter on top of the fruit. Bake until golden and bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes.

Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

Linked to:
Sweet Treats Thursday
Sweet Tooth Friday 
Sweets for a Saturday

4 comments:

  1. I'm using lots of blueberries now too, so looking for new ones. This looks divine! I have a good recipe for Blueberry Coffeecake Scones on my blog. Found you on the Thursday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having that issue too! I can't stop thinking about fall being right around the corner! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made something similar to this recently, only I also added in raspberries and peaches. I agree that it's essential to top it with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy. I like the idea of the cornmeal in the crisp. I'll try it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...