Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Coconut Lime Semifreddo

This is a simple dessert with a fancy name, well, I think semifreddo sounds fancy anyways.  I am all about the coconut these days so when I saw this lovely cool dessert in my Everyday Food magazine a few months ago I ripped it out immediately.  Coconut, lime, and mango?  Yes please!

Know this:  this semifreddo is RICH.  I made it for just my husband and I and more than half is still sitting in the freezer over two weeks later.  For some reason I thought it would be lighter than ice cream, but it has a lot of cream, condensed milk and full fat coconut milk in it.  Yum but after a thin slice I felt like I had eaten half a cake.  After a few partial thawings and re-freezing it starts to taste a bit funny, so I highly recommend making this when you have guests.




Coconut Lime Semifreddo
from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food

Serves 12
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (13.5 oz)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1 mango, thinly sliced

Line a 4 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch loaf pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang on each side. Prepare a large bowl of ice water, set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk and the sweetened condensed milk together and bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat and cook at a rapid simmer until the mixture starts to thicken, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt & lime zest. Place saucepan over the bowl of ice water and stir the mixture until it's cool, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, beat cream with a hand held electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the coconut milk mixture. Pour into the loaf pan and top with coconut. Freeze until firm, 6 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, let the semifreddo sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Invert on a platter, remove the parchment and top with the sliced mango.

Linked to:
Sweet Treats Thursday
This Chick Cooks Link Party 
Sweet Tooth Friday 
Sweets for a Saturday

1 comment:

  1. Perfect flavor combo and so good for all the hot summer days to come. Thanks for linking up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...