Sunday, January 15, 2012

New Years Cake

I wanted to share the easy chocolate whipped cream filling I used for this New Years Cake I recently made.  It's from Baking With The Cake Boss, which is a cookbook I picked up recently.  If you're into cake decorating, I find it a great resource.  There are lots of step by step instructions and pictures, particularly to do with fondant.

I haven't tried many of his actual recipes, they call for extra large eggs which I never have around.  But I did make his Dad's chocolate mousse for filling and frosting the cake.  The cake was a simple white cake, and each layer was filled with a dark chocolate ganache and then the mousse.  A great combination to satisfy both vanilla and chocolate lovers and not too sweet.



Chocolate Mousse
from Buddy Valastro

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tablespoon coffee liqueur

Put the cream, sugar, cocoa powder, and coffee liqueur in a stainless steel mixing bowl.  Blend with a mixer at high speed until fluffy, about 1 minute.

Use immediately or refrigerate in a an airtight container for up to 3 days.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...