Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Madeleines

Last year for Christmas my husband bought me a Madeleine pan.  I couldn't wait to make these dainty little lemon scented treats.  Unfortunately, my first attempt was a total bust.  Annoyed, I shoved the pan to the back of my baking cupboard.  I admit to being totally intimidated by these cookies, I mean, they seemed so easy and they had been a complete fail.

But when browsing my Baking cookbook by Dorie Greenspan, I read through her recipe and decided to give them another try.  I love Dorie.  Her recipes are full of info and super detailed so you really can't go wrong.  And I didn't this time.  My Madeleines were perfect, even with the requisite 'bump'.  These are best eaten the day they are made, so a perfect treat to impress your guests any time of year.


Classic Madeleines
from Dorie Greenspan


3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 c. sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Sift together the flour and baking powder. In a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar together at medium-high speed until they thicken and lighten in color, about 2-4 minutes.
Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla. With a large rubber spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the melted butter. Cover the batter with plastic wrap, pressing it against the surface to create an airtight seal. Chill for at least 3 hours.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. If your Madeleine pan is not nonstick, generously butter it and dust with flour. Set the pan on a baking sheet for easy transportability. Spoon the batter into the molds, filling them almost to the top. Don’t worry about smoothing the batter. It will even out as it bakes.
In the center rack of the oven, bake large madeleines for 11-13 minutes, and small ones for 8-10 minutes, or until they are puffed and golden and spring back when touched.
Remove the cookies by either rapping the pan against the counter or gently running a butter knife around the edges of the cookies. Cool on a cooling rack.

3 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! I love these. I use the recipe from Joy of Cooking and it's great every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. I may have to try these as Emily and Ethan love these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corrine, these sound wonderful. I am new to your blog, so I took a bit of extra time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that.I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...