Saturday, February 18, 2012

Train Birthday Cake

First, let me start this post off by saying I have finally found the best vanilla cake recipe in the entire world!!  Thank you Sweetapolita!  It's flavorful, moist, and bakes up like a fluffy dreamy cloud of vanilla deliciousness.  I am in love.  I can't wait to try this recipe as cupcakes.

The cake:  Layers of vanilla cake filled with strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream.  I wasn't sure what type of frosting to use on the outside of the cake.  I actually make the Cake Boss' decorator's buttercream originally.  It goes against my distrust of vegetable shortening, but I wanted a smooth outer frosting.  It was VILE.  Instead I went with my favorite sugary sweet American buttercream from Sweetapolita (have I mentioned I love her?), and while it wasn't completely smooth it turned out pretty good.  

The little birthday boy loved his train cake and that's was the best compliment of all. :)


6 comments:

  1. The birthday boy (and his family and friends) all loved the cake. Delicious and adorable!!! Thanks again for your hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful cake; you're so talented. i'm going to try that vanilla recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cake! You did an awesome job. And I can't wait to check out that cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! And I'm totally bookmarking the vanilla cake - I've never made one that I loved, so I'm happy for a new recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I can't tell you how happy I am to discover this blog, given that my FAVORITE food is cake! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog yesterday via the blog hop--I am following back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...